How to Start Teaching Yoga Online
Jake is a yoga and meditation teacher. He loves stream-of-consciousness…
In today’s world, there is a growing demand for services that can be done from a distance. Now is an ideal time to consider transitioning from a physical studio to a digital domain.
But where do you even begin? Fear not, as we delve into the exciting world of teaching yoga online and explore the steps you need to take to get started.
An Online Yoga Studio Is What?
An online yoga studio is a virtual space where yoga teachers can have classes and provide guidance to students over video. With an online yoga studio, you can access classes from the comfort of your own home or wherever you may be traveling.
Online yoga studios allow students to practice in an environment that meets their needs and schedule. You can also connect with other practitioners to gain inspiration and build a supportive community.
Is Online Yoga Worth It In 2023, And Why?
As the online market has evolved the last few years, and with it so has online yoga. Online yoga is undoubtedly worth it in 2023 for several reasons. Here are some reasons why online yoga is attracting people:
1. Convenience: Practicing yoga online saves time and money. You no longer have to spend time commuting or spending money on expensive classes. You can now practice anytime with just about any teacher you want anywhere with just a few clicks. Crazy.
2. Variety: From guided meditations to customizable streaming programs, the variety of options, courses, classes, retreats, immersions, (the list goes on) available makes it easy to find a practice that fits someone’s lifestyle and needs.
3. Affordability: Accessing yoga classes online is far more affordable than attending an in-person class or studio. This means it becomes accessible to a much more extensive range of people, allowing them to reap the many benefits of regular yoga practice.
4. Community: Online yoga classes offer the chance to connect with like-minded people worldwide, especially for people who are busy. This helps build community and motivation, which can benefit your practice.
5. Personalized Practice: There are so many different types, and styles of yoga and finding something that fits your personal needs now easy.
How To Be A Successful Online Yoga Instructor
Becoming a successful yoga instructor requires a blend of creativity, grit and a bit of tech savvy-ness. Here are some tips to be a successful online yoga instructor:
Cultivate A Strong Online Presence
As an online yoga instructor having an online presence is something that goes with the territory. A website and social media accounts are your lifelines. Use these platforms to showcase your expertise, provide valuable tips, tricks, and resources, and connect with your students.
There is so much one could add about how to develop each of these mediums, perhaps another post. The bottom line here is to be helpful!
Develop Your Teaching Style
Having a unique and authentic teaching style that resonates. This is not an easy thing to do in person, let alone online. What can help is by attending workshops and training programs and if you find a mentor or biz coach you will be ahead of the game.
Create A Personalized Experience
Creating a personalized experience is crucial to keeping your students engaged and motivated. Offer personalized feedback, tailor your classes to your student’s needs, and encourage open communication.
As an online yoga instructor, technology is your best friend. Take advantage of the latest tools and apps to provide your students with an interactive and immersive experience. Live streaming classes, offering virtual retreats, and hosting online workshops are just a few ways to incorporate technology into your teaching.
Encourage Community Building
Creating a community of like-minded individuals is a powerful way to support your students and build a loyal following. Encourage students to connect, host online events, and offer exclusive perks to encourage people.
Continuously Improve Your Skills
Successful online yoga instructors are always seeking to improve their skills and knowledge. Invest in your education by attending workshops and training programs, studying industry trends, and experimenting with new teaching methods.
How To Set Up Your Online Yoga Studio
Setting up an online yoga studio can be rewarding, but ensuring everything is in order takes effort. Here are some tips for physically setting up your online yoga studio:
Set Up Your Space Properly
Setting up your space correctly is my fav thing to do. Use calming colors and decor to create a relaxing atmosphere. You are going to have to test out different arrangements on this one, as sometimes it just looks different when it’s recorded online.
Ensure You Have Good Lighting and Video Quality
Proper lighting ensures that your clients can see you clearly and follow your instructions without getting all messed up – was that downward dog? Also, ensure the video’s quality is clear enough for them to follow. Meaning you are going to want something that has good resolution. Standard stuff.
Invest in Quality Audio Equipment
Investing in quality audio equipment can help you deliver clear instructions and let’s be honest that might be the most important thing in your biz. It can also help you remove any unwanted background noise and create a peaceful atmosphere for your students to practice in.
Use a Professional Camera
Investing in a quality camera is a no-brainer. A professional camera may not always be needed as phone cameras are getting better and better these days. This will all make it easier to follow instructions.
Use Professional Editing Software
Professional editing software can also help you create great-looking videos. You can use the software to edit out any mistakes, add transitions between exercises or demonstrations, and even provide subtitles so that everyone can follow along easily.
Business Tips For Your Online Yoga Studio
The success of an online yoga studio depends on how much energy you put into it. No surprises there. Finding your niche will help you in developing an online yoga presence – something you need in this saturated world.
Here are some tips to help you identify your niche and develop your teaching style:
- Identify your expertise and passion: Consider the type of yoga you specialize in and what areas you excel in. What sets you apart from other yoga instructors?
- Determine your target audience: Identity your ideal student demographic, including age, gender, fitness level, and experience level. Niche down as much as you can.
- Research the market: Analyze your competition and identify gaps in the market that your platform can fill. Consider the needs and preferences of your target audience.
- Develop a unique value proposition: Establish what sets your online yoga platform apart from competitors and how your platform can address your student’s needs.
- Create a teaching philosophy: Develop a philosophy that aligns with your niche and unique teaching style. Consider the type of experience you want to offer your students, the goals you want to help them achieve, and the atmosphere you want to create.
- Experiment and refine: Once you have established your niche and teaching style, experiment with different class formats, themes, and techniques. Monitor student feedback and refine your approach accordingly.
Choose The Right Online Platform For Your Classes
Choosing the right online platform is obviously something you are going to want to look into. For many, it might be straight-up live Zoom classes, for others, if you want to build a course, have pre-recorded videos, or package your classes together with a sleek interface you are likely to look a little deeper.
Here are some factors to consider when selecting an online platform for your yoga classes:
- User interface and features: The online platform you choose should have a user-friendly interface and offer the features you need to deliver your classes effectively.
- Security and privacy: Ensure that your online platform is secure and provides adequate privacy protection for you and your students.
- Compatibility and accessibility: The online platform should be compatible with your students’ devices and browsers.
- Cost and payment options: Choose a platform that offers a fair pricing structure and supports various payment methods to make it easy for your students to pay for your classes.
Some of the best online platforms for live classes are:
- Google Meet
- Microsoft Teams
- Vimeo Livestream
- Facebook Live
- Instagram Live
- YouTube Live
For most people, this might be enough, but if you want to take your yoga game to the next level it’s probably good to look into other online platforms.
Best Online platforms For Teaching Yoga
If you are looking for sleek software to package your classes in pre-recorded batches check out Mindbody online. They have been very popular the last few years – understandably so.
Mindbodyonline is a powerful platform for managing and scheduling appointments and classes and just about does every else you can think of. The platform is easy to use and allows you to quickly schedule and manage appointments and classes, as well as to accept payments online.
The platform is user-friendly and has a wide range of features that make it easy to manage my schedule and communicate with my clients. One of the standout features of Mindbodyonline is the ease of booking appointments and classes.
This is a platform more for one-on-one instruction, breaking down sequences, tutorials, or a more intimate experience for your students. It is built primarily for fitness coaches to connect better with their students.
What I think is unique about this software is that it is great for private intructional videos. It really helps to personalize the experience and give the type of attention that’s needed for private clients.
Uscreen provides users with a number of different choice tiers to choose from in order to meet their diverse needs. Because it is one of the most widely used platforms currently available, you are essentially free to modify it in any way you see fit.
The software, much like the others on our list, is simple to operate, and you can have it installed, configured, and ready to go to work in a matter of minutes.
Teachable is an excellent platform for yoga teachers looking to create and sell online courses. The platform is incredibly user-friendly, and the course builder makes creating engaging and interactive courses easy.
One of the standout features of Teachable is the flexibility it offers in creating and customizing course content. The platform allows for easy integration of multimedia, including videos and audio, making it an excellent choice for yoga teachers looking to offer instructional courses.
Thinkific is an great for developing and marketing one’s own online courses. The system is extremely straightforward to use and provides all of the tools necessary to produce, market, and sell online courses. Because it is basic and easy to use, the course builder gives you the ability to easily develop courses that are interesting and participatory.
Because of the versatility of the platform, you are able to tailor courses to reflect both my brand and my approach to teaching.
Kajabi is an all-in-one platform that makes it easy to make and sell digital products, online courses, and membership sites. The platform has a lot of features and tools that make it easy to create, customise, and promote your online content. One of the best things about Kajabi.com is how easy it is to use.
The platform is easy to use, and the course builder makes it easy to make courses that are engaging and interactive by giving you options like video, audio, and quizzes.
If you want to host a live yoga webinar, WebinarJam is the best platform available. The platform comes equipped with a suite of features and instruments that simplify the process of developing and delivering dynamic, interactive webinars. WebinarJam can host webinars with a large number of attendees, which is one of its most notable features.
With such a large audience capacity, it’s a great option for yoga instructors to hold live classes and workshops in the virtual world. You can make your webinars more interactive and interesting for your audience by using WebinarJam’s excellent engagement tools like live chat, polls, and Q&A. In addition, the platform supports screen sharing, so you can easily show off videos and other media during webinars.
Namastream is an excellent platform that makes it super easy to upload and organize your course content. Plus, you can manage your students’ subscriptions and payments without having to deal with any pesky paperwork. No more chasing down checks and counting coins!
The live streaming feature makes it so you can connect with your students in real-time, and even provide personalized instruction to help them improve their practice. It’s like having your own virtual yoga studio, but without the hassle of renting space or cleaning up afterward.
Pick Your Business Model And Set Your Prices
There are several business models, each can be taken with parts of the other:
- Subscription-based model: With this model, students pay a recurring fee (monthly or annually) to access a set number of classes per month. This model can provide a steady revenue stream and encourage students to commit to regular practice.
- Pay-per-class model: With this model, students pay for each class they attend. This can be a good option for students who want to attend classes occasionally but may need to be more effective for building a consistent base of students.
- Hybrid model: With this model, you offer both subscription-based and pay-per-class options to cater to different types of students.
- Online store model: With this model, you sell products related to yoga, such as mats, props, and clothing. This can be an excellent way to generate additional revenue and promote your brand.
Once you have chosen your business model, you must set your prices. When selecting your prices, consider the costs of running your business, your competition, and the value of your classes.
It would help if you offered different pricing options, such as discounted rates for long-term subscriptions or bulk-class purchases. Ultimately, the key to setting the right prices is to find a balance between affordability for your students and profitability for your business.
Taking payment for your online classes
So, you’re ready to start collecting payments for your online courses. Let’s discuss how to handle the money. For starters, there’s PayPal, which has become the de facto standard.
This option is as simple as just dropping your bank deets or your PayPal link(paypal.me/yourpaypalname).
Simple as pie.
You might also try using Stripe or Square if you’re feeling fancy, but these aren’t as extensively utilised. However, 2.5% more will be added to your total once processing fees are factored in. Ouch.
Now, if you want to be absolutely certain, you may always demand payment before you deliver the link to your course. Keeping track of who’s paid what could be a pain, but better safe than sorry, right?
Consider incorporating a payment mechanism into your video hosting in order to simplify the payment procedure. If you use Acuity, for instance, you can accept payments through PayPal, Stripe, or Square, and it also integrates with Zoom. Sure, it takes a bit of time to set up, but it’ll save you loads of admin time in the long run.
If you want to take things to the next level, you can use services like Acuity and Calendly to book private lessons that fit your schedule.
Acuity’s base plan begins at $15 per month, while Calendly’s free basic plan is sufficient for most people. Cha-ching!
Market Your Classes And Build A Social Media Presence
Social media is a valuable tool for yoga teachers looking to promote their online classes. You can start by creating accounts on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Posting inspiring content such as photos, videos, and quotes related to yoga and teaching can help you build a following and engage with potential students.
Another great way to market your online yoga classes is through your website. You can include links to book classes, provide class descriptions, list prices and packages available, and upload images of yourself teaching. Additionally, you can create a blog section to share tips and advice for yoga practitioners, which can help draw people in and increase your visibility online.
Network with other yoga instructors in your area by attending events or joining forums where you can discuss ideas or collaborate on projects. You could even find instructors specialized in the same style of yoga that you teach and offer to exchange guest classes or teaching opportunities.
Customer Service And Offer Bonuses
Providing customer service is a big and sometimes burdensome part of any online yoga business. Some ways make this as streamlined as possible are:
- Respond to student inquiries promptly
- Offer personalized attention
- Creating a positive and inclusive atmosphere for all students
- Encouraging student feedback and using it to improve your classes and platform
Offering bonuses can greatly incentivize new students to sign up and keep existing students engaged. Some examples of bonuses you could offer include:
- A free trial period for new students
- Discounts on bulk class purchases or subscription plans
- Access to exclusive content, such as workshops or courses
- Rewards for referrals, such as free classes or discounts on future purchases.
By providing exceptional customer service and offering bonuses to your students, you can build a loyal community and increase the success of your online yoga platform.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Equipment Do I Need To Start Teaching Yoga Online?
What’s great about this modern age is that you do not need much to start. You could just use a camera with a microphone. If you have a stable internet connection and a subscription to a hosting platform you are good to go. It’s never been easier. With that said tech stuff can be difficult to get used to. So be patient.
How Do I Promote My Online Yoga Classes?
Social media is a powerful tool for marketing online yoga classes. You can also create a website or landing page to promote your offerings and share your expertise through blog posts or videos. But to get into this question would be a whole new blog post as marketing is a massive subject. So stay tuned for more.
How Do I Price My Online Yoga Classes?
Factors to consider when pricing your online yoga classes include your experience level, the length of your classes, and the size of your audience. Look at what other online yoga teachers are charging and consider offering introductory pricing or package deals.
Do I Need Any Special Training Or Certification To Teach Yoga Online?
In general, it’s recommended that you have a 200-hour yoga teacher training certification and some teaching experience before starting to teach yoga online. You may also want additional training or certification in teaching yoga online specifically.
How Much Can An Online Yoga Instructor Make?
This is a hard question to answer, as it varies considerably. Teachers can make between $15 to $150 per hour and $2,000 to $10,000 per month.
What goes in is what comes out. It all depends on how much you work, how well you can market yourself and whether you can offer courses, retreats, private classes, and immersions to supplement your regular class schedule because that is where the real money is.
Jake is a yoga and meditation teacher. He loves stream-of-consciousness writing, good coffee, and a quiet mind. Not necessarily in that order. You can find him pursuing that wherever he goes.